Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Wed. Oct. 21st

I'm trying my best to keep things in small blogs (slightly unsuccessfully though! Yikes!) Spasiba (thank you) for your patience.

John reminded me of another moment while in the Director's office.....

Since there was no private moment for us, I was not sure what John was thinking about Vala from the moment we met her, but I had conflicting feelings over her rigid smile and pleading eyes. Although it melted my heart, I wasn't sure how to read what I was seeing. Was she nervous? or putting on an act of showing happiness? Was she told to behave a certain way to achieve being adopted? Something wasn't right and my lack of knowledge in her culture left me ignorant.

At one moment, I look down and saw her intricately painted nails - yellow with black flowers on the ends. Desperately looking for something to talk about, I reached down and picked up her fingers to comment on the beautiful paint job and ask if she did it herself. This poor girl's hands were sweaty and she was embarrassed for me to touch them and have her feelings revealed! She took me hook, line and sinker! She looked up at me with those dark brown eyes, tears in them. I smiled down at her, held her hand and squeezed it in understanding - she was not putting on an act - she was petrified we would not want her.

After spending 3 days with her, we can tell you, even through the language barrier, she is a sweet girl. She fully intends on becoming an American and is excited about having a family for the first time. She came to the orphanage when she was 5. She has been there 9 years, watching her friends be adopted or age-out and disappear from existence. Through various paperwork circumstances (and we believe God's grace to hold her for us to find each other), she was unadoptable until just two years ago. She loves to play, is a good athlete, and smart - she will fit in wonderfully with our children. Although problems will arise during the melding phase, I think her new brothers and sisters will be pleasantly surprised. And yes Sarah & Joella, she will definatly be the shortest - finally, huh?! She is a cute little package of smiles and personality.

Well, we can no longer stand the smoke filled atmosphere. I hope these posts today wet your appetites and help fill you in. We'll be signing off, but promise to be back. Lord willing, we'll be packing up again and heading back to Kiev on the overnight train. We'll try and get back on-line as soon as we can.

Much love to you all!
Thank you so much for the prayers.
Thank you also for the encouraging e-mails and comments - they help cheer us up.
Thank you Sally for the weather updates - it's fun and actually helps us plan what to wear - you know all about the fact that when we leave for the day, we have no idea when we'll be back home or how long it will be before we can eat again.

Until next time - Jenn

2 comments:

  1. That's so cool that you connected and could get a feel for how excited she was. That's so important. God bless you guys! We look forward to seeing you all when you get back.

    John...we missed you at Shari's today for lunch. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was wondering where you left to and i just found out this past mon... well congrats to all and safe journey and ill keep in touch

    ReplyDelete