Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Ukrainian driving

John and I put many, many miles on our vehicles each year. Both of us drive and because we have our own business, we have vehicles we drive for work and ones we have to drive personally. Each year we put 30,000 miles on our vehicles - each! Because our older teenage children drive their own vehicles as well (partially to save us from driving back and forth to the school and their other functions), we could quite easily chalk up another 10,000 miles or more in driving miles for our family.

While being here in Ukraine (we are on day 14), John and I have not been allowed to drive. This is a very different experience for both of us. We are used to being in control of our days and being in the hands of other people is challenging at times. Especially the way they drive here!

We are not world travellers. This is our first time being off the North American continent. So although I have heard stories about driving on the Audubon and seen movies with high speed chases in Paris and the like, I have yet to have lived them until now.

Most who know me (okay kids, you can tell all), know driving fast does not bother me. Honestly, I like it. I grew up under the wing of my father, who being a Marine, calculated every move and strategically swerved in and out of traffic in the Portland area where I grew up. At the end of the day, he was one that was not tired from the experience, but invigorated and quite satisfied at the challenges. I tend to be like him.

But this driving is completely out of my realm. Straight from the airport in Kiev, I was aghast at the way drivers stack up three or four across in a two lane road. They cut each other out and are constantly swerving back and forth, narrowly missing each other! Even my thrill seeking side was a little more than frightened!

And when someone didn't want to wait 7 cars back from the light, they will drive into oncoming traffic (2 or 3 lanes coming right at them), dodging the cars and buses and turn right through the busy intersection ahead that has right-away! It is incredible to see!

And one amazing, incredible lesson that Americans could learn is that no one gets mad! There is no "road rage" here. I asked our driver about it, politely translated by Sergiy, if anyone gets mad and yells at them? He was confused by the question and said, "No. I guess they need to get somewhere worse than I do." They assume the best instead of the worst! They do not get uptight and feel they've been cut off, or that the other driver hasn't waited their turn like we did. They just assume that they needed to get ahead for a reason. We ourselves have done lots of passing into oncoming traffic, around buses, cars, electric run Metros, pedestrians (who cross anytime and anywhere). Because of this phenomenon, they, like my father, are not stressed at the end of the day. It's just life to them.

We pray as you "drive" through life today, dodging life's roadblocks, obstacles and unexpected "pedestrians" that you remember to remain calm and relaxed. God is in control of today. He does not want one of us to suffer needlessly. He sees what's happening in your life and mine. He is compassionate and (Praise God) slow to anger when we do wrong. Keep it in gear, keep your focus on the road ahead (full of God), sit back and enjoy the ride.

Much love to you all.
God bless you dear friends and family!
Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment