Thursday, November 5, 2009

Snow showers and birthday celebrations!

This week has flown by and my attempts to stay up-to-date have failed miserably! I am constantly taking you back and forth with me in time. I try to keep you updated yet fill you in on past things I've not blogged about. I seem to have more words than I have time. ;o)


The great news is John and I are healthy, as well as everyone at the orphanage and those we deal with here. Thanks to all of those who are praying for our safety and health! Below is a view from our apartment window this week.



We came home on Monday night in the beginnings of snow flurries. Our driver was concerned as he was driving on bald tires, in desperate need of replacement. He slowed some, but it's amazing how fast these Ukrainians drive even in the snow. Again, so glad I am a passenger.....

It continued to lightly dust through the night and snowed with more earnestness on Tuesday. We had brand new tires and headed off to our various appointments. That day (Tues) we were in high hopes of getting a court date set. But the day ended with more questions than answers - that has been the prevailing tone for the week.

The courts have 10 days from our submission to give us a court appointment for the adoption trial. We are still well within our 10 days, so we again wait. Remember, I said "waiting" was as much a part of adoption as the child is! Next week we will try again. When we have a court date, we will have a closer idea of when we will be home, but nothing set in stone.

We've recently celebrated Vala's birthday. It was great to be apart of it and see how they celebrate in the orphanage. Vala has never had a party like we do at home. Sergiy says she probably has never had a cake or presents. She has never had candles, but knew what to do when John and I lit them on her Napoleon birthday cake. Napoleon is her favorite but we had a hard time getting her to eat a piece. She wanted to make sure all the other kids had had some first - what a sweet loving kid! We just love her to death!


I had Sergiy interpret the day before Vala's birthday that I always tell my family and loved ones "Happy Birthday" as many times as possible - I wanted to warn her as my other children are well versed in this tradition. ;o) The look on her face told me she thought I might be making fun of her, she has never had that much attention paid to her before and she didn't know what to think of what was being told to her now.


Anguish overcame me. I wanted to cry at the emotion I read on her face and the confusion in her eyes. I told Sergiy he must further interpret for me - she needed to understand.

I looked straight in her brown pleading eyes and told her the story of my birthday celebrations: I did not have a loving childhood. I do not remember my own birthday being celebrated, in fact I understood I was despised. Life is short and as an adult, it has become so important to me to tell those I love and hold dear in my life that they are special to me. I am so grateful for them. Their birthdays are a day I can celebrate with them - thankful that God had chosen this day for them to come into the world and eventually into my life. Their birthday is a day to be celebrated for no other day in the year was just for them! Vala, when I say Happy Birthday and hug you and smile at you I am really saying, "I love you!" "You are so important to me!" "I am so glad God put you in my life!" "I wouldn't change knowing you for anything in the world!"


She smiled up at me......she understood. The next morning at 8:00am I call her and wish her Happy Birthday. She is all giggles and says in rare English - Thank you. What else is there to say?


God bless you and yours,
Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment