Thursday, November 26, 2009

I thank my God every time I remember you....

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!

We want to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving! Although I realize most of you are still in bed, it is now 10:00am here and I didn't want to miss the opportunity to tell you all you are in our thoughts and prayers today.

I know some of you are enjoying the day with family. Some of you are wishing you could have gone home to see your family, but couldn't. I know some of you are going to enjoy the day with your family from church - what a wonderful blessing to be Brothers and Sisters in Him! And still some of you struggle with the loss of loved ones today - I am one of those. My dear Grandmother passed away yesterday morning with a long, hard battle with illnesses and age. She was dear to my heart and I have fond memories spent with her. I am thankful today she is no longer in pain. I am thankful today her body is at rest. I pray with all my heart she made things right with our Lord before her passing. It is hard to know a person's heart. I want to dance and praise God with her someday in heaven! I am thankful He wants the same thing.

Ukraine, of course, does not celebrate the American holiday Thanksgiving. In fact, I've quit trying to explain it to them because they can't even grasp the idea. Which is strange to me. They create holidays just because someone in another country saw a rock "crying" when someone prayed to it, and they believe it is a miracle, so this in turn becomes a holiday in a totally different country.....but they can't grasp the fact that we set aside a day to be thankful for all we have and give praise to the One who gave it to us. It's weird to me.

Irregardless, I am thankful. I am thankful for my husband John who came half way around the world with me to answer God's call to us. I am thankful he is the leader of our family, that he loves me and all our children and even those who are not. I am so very thankful he loves Jesus as much as I do and that I can call him one of my very best friends.

I am thankful for my children. I am blessed to have given them the opportunity to learn of Christ's love for them and that they have grasped it and taken hold of Him as their Savior. I am thankful I see growth in them and what kind, caring young adults they are becoming. True beauty is found inside and they have an abundance of it! I am thankful they were willing to suffer along with us and let us go to another country to bring someone else into our family. They are missionaries just the same as we are - answering to God's call as it pertains to their lives as well.

I am thankful for our Brothers and Sisters in Christ, both at our home church, Victory Christian Church, and others we know and love. They are our true family and we couldn't have made it this far without their love, support, encouragement and prayers. I am thankful for those who have stepped into our ministry positions and taken the responsibilities as their own. It will make our homecoming that much easier.

I am thankful to those in our community who are preparing to welcome Vala with arms open wide. I am thankful they are looking after the special needs she will have as she learns English and meshes into an American lifestyle. I am so very thankful we live in a conservative, respectful community where children matter and adults are respected. Thank you.

I am thankful for our customers and fellow contractors. Thank you for being patient while we have been away. Thank you for working so nicely with our "fill ins" and being willing to communicate via e-mail which takes more time than usual, considering the time difference. We appreciate the great working relationships we have and are excited to get home and back to work again serving you.

Finally, I am thankful for this country, Ukraine. They are a prideful bunch. They have been through some tremendous atrocities in the past but continue to prevail. They want to do good and try to continue to keep their eyes forward and to the future. This is a long, hard road for them. The Soviet era was very, very hard on them. Standing back and looking from my perspective it was much harder than they imagine. They need our prayers and encouragement any way we can offer it. They are generally good, loving people who care. I am thankful there are people here like Jay Don and Mary Lee Rogers bringing the Good News to the Ukrainian people, who in turn can tell their people. The best missionaries of the Good News is the native people themselves. Mostly these people lack hope. I am so very thankful there are those here willing to stretch themselves to give it - and I'm not talking just about in faith but in doing good as well just because it's the right thing to do.

As I get ready to head out for the day before we see Vala tonight, I am full of sniffles and sneezes. Yes, the autumn flu/cold season is here and we are not immune to it, just like everyone else. Vala is sick, I am sick, Sergiy is sick, our driver is sick. But we are still getting along just fine and expect to be okay by the time next week arrives. Thank you for continuing to pray for our health.

We love you very much. We are excited to see you all face to face someday soon.
Happy Thanksgiving.
Jenn

1 Thess 5:16-18
Phil 1:3

No comments:

Post a Comment